Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Big Left Turn

Richardson Bay Anchorage
Looking Toward Sausalito

On October 11, 2019 I left Richardson Bay where I anchored near Sausalito for the night.  I have always liked this  anchorage.  With a cloudless night, full moon, and starry night skies; the lights of San Francisco can be seen off across the bay.  I wished Peggy was here to enjoy the beautiful scenery with me.

Little Lara Passing Under the Golden Gate Bridge

The next morning I was up early to prepare "Little Lara" for sailing offshore.  This mostly entailed organizing the boat, securing any loose items and setting out food (crackers, snacks, drinks) that can be easily grabbed.  I left the anchorage around 10:30 am with the hopes of passing under the Golden Gate Bridge at slack tide, then catching the beginning of an outgoing ebb tide. Once the anchor was stowed, I was off. Initially, with the favorable tide I made 6-7 knots, but upon reaching open waters "Little Lara" slowed to 4-5 knots.


U S Navy Stealth Ship
As I was leaving San Francisco Bay several "US Navy Stealth Ships" were entering.  We passed each other under the Golden Gate Bridge.  With Coast Guard Helicopters flying and Coast Guard Fire Boats spraying water, I felt very privileged that the Navy would think enough of "Little Lara's" to give us a spectacular send-off!


Coast Guard Fire Boat

Coast Guard Helicopter





















These modern naval ships have radar cross section reduction features incorporated into their design, with inclined hull sides and bulwarks. They are constructed entirely of steel, possess better sea keeping qualities and are able to stay at sea for longer periods of time. They are powered by four diesel engines, cruise at 18 knots, but can achieve a top speed of 27 knots. At 376 feet long and 53 feet wide, these ships do not look like traditional naval ships, but more like floating boxes.  Plus, their size make "Little Lara" look -- well little, very little! Plus, they look very odd compared to the design, appearance and function of "Little Lara".


Turning Left and
Leaving the Golden Gate Bridge Behind

Turning Southward, I sailed "Little Lara" wing on wing (the head sail poled out on one side of the boat and the main sail boomed out on the other) in 2-3 foot seas. During the day, the winds lightened, "Little Lara" slowed, and the seas flatten out.  Soon we were making 2-3 knots as the sun began to set. The night air grew cold and dew settled on the decks.  Soon a large harvest moon peaked up over the coastal mountain range and the stars began to appear one by one.  I could see the North Star behind me, Orion overhead and warmer days ahead.  We sailed on throughout the night with the moon as my only sailing companion.


2 comments:

  1. Well the spray of water from the Coast Guard Fire boat is almost as good as the water truck lol. I am sure Peggy is with you now and you are both enjoying the sights you are seeing. Thinking of you both and praying for your safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay you are a real sailor out there in that little boat ?? I enjoy reading about your trips ,I ll keep checking on you and Peggy. John

    ReplyDelete