Sunday, November 10, 2019

Racing Stormy Weather

Moonrise at Monterey, California  Yacht Harbor 

I continued sailing "Little Lara" southward, arriving at Monterey Yacht Harbor the morning of  October 12th.  There I took a slip in the marina after covering 95 nautical miles in a 24 hour period.  In Monterey, I refueled the boat, caught up on some much needed sleep, and attended church. After church,  Peggy called to warn me of inclement weather north of my position.  A huge winter storm with 25-30 knots of wind and 10-15 foot waves was pressing down on me.  She advised me to get around Point Conception as quickly as possible.  Though I had planned to spend another day in Monterey, I once again dropped "Little Lara's" dock lines and headed out to sea.


Point Conception
Point Conception was first noted by Spanish maritime explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542 and named Cabo de Galera. In 1602, Sebastian Vizcaíno sailed past it, renaming this protruding headland Punta de la Limpia Concepción ("Point of the Immaculate Conception"). Vizcaíno's name stuck, and the name was anglicized to today's version.  The Chumash people, who occupied this region well before the arrival of the Spaniards called Point Conception the "Western Gate", through which the souls of the dead could pass between the mortal world and the heavenly paradise.  For modern day mariners, this point is know as "The Cape Horn of the Pacific Ocean" -- a scary place, where scary things happen!


Lost Ships of Destroyer Squadron 11
"The Cape Horn of the Pacific Ocean" is full of maritime disasters.  One of the worst documented cases occurred on a Saturday night, September 8, 1923.  It was foggy and difficult to see.  Fourteen ships of Destroyer Squadron 11 were running south from San Francisco to San Diego at 20 knots in column formation with just a few minutes of sea time between them.  They were too close to each other given the weather conditions. The lead ship, U.S.S. Delphy, mistook the light at Point Arguello as the light at Point Conception, which was twelve miles further to the south.  As a consequence of this navigational error, the Delphy’s captain, thinking he was entering the Santa Barbara Channel, turned inland early.   The other destroyers followed, one after another.  When they realized their error, it was to late. Seven destroyers ran aground on the jagged rock outcroppings close to shore and were lost.  Two ships were damaged.  Only five were able to avoid the rocks. It was the largest peacetime loss of U.S. Navy ships in our history.


Approaching Point Conception in "Little Lara"

I rounded Point Conception just as the sun was setting.  True to its reputation, the "Horn" was cold, wet and gloomy.  The winds were light, the seas were confused, but fortunately it was not foggy.  In the dark, I dropped the hook in Cojo Anchorage just east of Point Conception. I was tired, but I had escaped the fate of Destroyer Squadron 11.

Dodging Ships and Oil Platforms in the Santa Barbara Channel

I was up early the next morning, motor-sailing down the Santa Barbara Channel.  I looked longingly at Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands as I sailed past their inviting bays and inlets, but, that winter storm was still north of me, and closing in fast. Peggy was furiously texting me to hurry and get into a safe harbor.  I arrived at the Santa Barbara Anchorage as the sun was setting on October 16th and the next morning I took a slip in the Santa Barbara Yacht Harbor.  It took me 43 hours to sail the 206 miles from Monterey, but I had beat the storm with its high winds and huge waves by 24 hours.

Storm Wind and Waves
Crashing against the Santa Barbara Breakwater

Sunset at Santa Barbara, California



No comments:

Post a Comment